Colne Co-Op – Co-operative Hall (now Shackleton Hall)
When built, the ‘Central Premises’ on Church Street was originally known as the Co-operative Hall. The store(s) opened for business on 17 Apr 1889, but the official opening day celebrations were held on 26th May 1889.
“Very soon, these premises proved inadequate for the housing of all the departments, and the drapery & tailoring departments were transferred to Exchange Street in 1893”
In 1947, the Church Street premises were renamed to ‘Shackleton Hall’ to mark the completion of over 50 years of official service of the president, JW Shackleton, with the Society.
Shackleton Hall as of Nov 2019. The frontage is Together Housing and the two shops frontages at the entrance to the hall are Upper Cuts Hairdressers and Pendle Community Credit Union (PCCU). There are also a number of number of businesses within the hall itself.
A little bit extra …
The land on which the Co-operative Hall was built was purchased from Robert Foulds in 1887. The buildings that stood on this site (which was known as Watergate) had already been demolished in 1886. A photograph of 1880 shows James Goth, Fish & Fruit, the “Old Golden Ball Beershop” and the old “Derby Arms”.
A list of Co-op premises (in 1920) and their opening times are shown on the Co-op Members Calendar for 1920.
Read our other stories of the Colne & District Co-Op
Colne & District Co-Op: Albert Road (Norway House)
Colne & District Co-Op: Alkincoats Road
Colne & District Co-Op: Bakery and Abattoir
Colne & District Co-Op: Burnley Road (Branch No. 21)
Colne & District Co-Op: Harrison Drive Branch
Colne & District Co-Op: Langroyd Road Branch
Colne & District Co-Op: Primet Bridge (Branch No. 4)
Colne & District Co-Op: Ruskin Avenue (Branch No. 22)
Colne & District Co-Op: Shackleton Hall (Co-Operative Hall)