Colne & District Co-operative Society: Waterside
The first store run on a co-operative basis in Colne appears to have begun about 1848 in what was the Chartist news room in Parliament Street. However, this business only survived a few years and the business was taken over by a private individual, but the adventure contained the seed from which other attempts at mutual trading. A store was opened in Holmes Place in Railway Street in about 1858 and this was later moved to Parliament Street.
A Waterside branch was opened in 1867, but this section broke away from the parent body and in 1870 the Waterside Co-operative stores was created. In March 1886, the ‘Colne & District Co-operative Society Ltd’ was created by the merger of three co-operative movements (Parliament Street, Waterside and Primet Hill).
A large chunk of Waterside, Damside & the Mill Green area has been subject to demolition. The old Co-op buildings have long been demolished, along with many other buildings. There are large areas of Waterside that have been cleared – now a mixture of areas used for business, brownfield sites, some open land and some play areas.
Read our other stories of the Colne & District Co-Op
Colne & District Co-Op: Albert Road (Norway House)
Colne & District Co-Op: Alkincoats Road
Colne & District Co-Op: Bakery and Abattoir
Colne & District Co-Op: Burnley Road (Branch No. 21)
Colne & District Co-Op: Harrison Drive Branch
Colne & District Co-Op: Langroyd Road Branch
Colne & District Co-Op: Primet Bridge (Branch No. 4)
Colne & District Co-Op: Ruskin Avenue (Branch No. 22)
Colne & District Co-Op: Shackleton Hall (Co-Operative Hall)